Friday, February 17, 2006

 

I Don't Say It - I Just Talk About It

Denver-


"Finally, tonight, the Winter Games. Count me among those who don’t like them and won’t watch them ... Because they’re so trying, maybe over the next three weeks we should all try too. Like, try not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these games to those of the ancient Greeks who never heard of skating or skiing. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention.


-Bryant Gumbel


"The Oklahoma Sooners and the Hornets are the only brothers in town,"


-Charles Barkley


"It is the responsibility of everybody to stand up against people that are biased and racist and see them for the cowards that they are,"


-Al Sharpton


"Nobody believes I'm from Colorado. They're like, 'Colorado? They don't even have black people in Colorado."


-Chauncey Billups


If you listen to the Dino Costa Show on the Radio Colorado Network, or watch Raw Sports on FSN Rocky Mountain - you're very aware that there is no subject that is too hot for me to comment on in a direct and unapologetic manner.


As a talk show host and commentator - my objective when I take to the air each day is not so much to report the news, but instead, to give my opinion on what is making the news.


While others may choose to stay away from issues like race and gender items, I'm all too willing to speak my mind and to come across with my most candid thoughts.
I'm sometimes criticized for focusing in on racial parameters - however I would feel I'd be doing a disservice to my audience if I did nothing more than to pretend that I didn't see or hear about news that bothers me - and that I feel is not justified.


In addition these racial parameters come up so often and with such frequency, one would have to have their head all the way int he sand not to notice them.


Too often, the mainstream media will either distort, unreport, or totally mis-inform the audience they are reaching each day.


But people are sometimes very stupid, very stupid, and whatever is being reported in the style it's being broadcast or written about, is too often taken as gospel by folks who are too ignorant to know any better - or for those who have an agenda to divide people for their own profit.


While I am more than willing to admit that there are racial issues & items that do denigrate segments of our population - I am also too smart to think that they are assigned to just one group of individuals or one single ethnicity.


Have you ever been the victim of racism? Of course you have...we all have been there and done that. But if you chew on and swallow most of what the writers, columnists, and broadcasters tell you about all of the inequality that exists in our world today - you'd be certain that it is mostly a white on black thing almost without exception. A white on Latin thing. A white on...any other thing.


Give me a break.


What annoys me most is in the perception that certain people and or institutions, are patently racist because of isolated incidents, or due to circumstances that were not intentional.


I think it goes without saying that the overwhelming majority of the mainstream media are bleeding heart liberals who are all trying to save the world - and folks who are hell bent on writing and or broadcasting stories, that will make them appear to have a heart.


These people live in a dream world that discounts reality all the time.


The double standard in regard to what one person can get away with saying or doing, versus what another can and often does suffer as the result of what they may say, is criminal.


Lets say that on my next radio program I make the claim that New Orleans was never a good fit for NBA basketball, because the majority of the folks in that city are black, poorly educated, don't have any disposable income...and then I top it off by saying, "for crying out loud people, Saints owner Tom Benson is the only white guy in the city." For good measure and to illustrate my point with further emphasis, I note that, "I'll bet that in every kitchen in every home in New Orleans, you can find chitlins on every supper table".


Now obviously this would be a stupid, insensitive remark, that would no doubt fire up the embers of a lot of people looking to make it an issue. It would also cement in many peoples minds that Dino Costa is a bonafide racist with a brain the size of a marble.


To make the comment that New Orleans is not a viable NBA city based up economics and demographics is one thing, and it is indeed an arguable point, however, to add the other ingredients would be a tasteless thing to do on my part.
I don't need to tell you what certain high profile jackass just made some comments about the great state of Oklahoma, do I? I also don't need to tell you that this person has been doing and saying these kinds of baseless and irresponsible things for as long as he became a public person, do I?


On my last Raw Sports program on FSN Rocky Mountain, I raised this issue and wondered aloud as to why is it that this person continues to not only get away with saying such ignorant but why in addition is this person always rewarded for his dumb downed commentary?


My sidekick on Raw Sports is "Oren from Denver", a guy who I happen to believe is a super individual, with a great heart, and a man that I believe is decent in every way shape and form.


Oren from Denver is a black guy, and his response to me when I posed the recent rumblings of Charles Barkley (oops, I said his name!), was that it was simply another case of "Charles being Charles...again".


On the surface I believe this is pretty true. Charles Barley is someone who is as predictable as most of the boring talk radio shows in Denver (outside of my show of course), and his act and style are well known. I would have no problem whatsoever if someone wants to pass off his sleazy and slimy style as being about, "Charles just being Charles."


But if its good enough to just dismiss Barley's asinine commentary so easily, and to explain away his dumb dribble as nothing more than "it's just Charles being Charles", then why isn't that a good enough explanation for anyone who says something that is considered, "not right"?


Then there is Bryant Gumbel. I happen to like Gumbel, I think he is a marvelously talented, versatile, commentator, who directs traffic on HBO's Real Sports, in an incredibly polished and professional fashion.


What if on the next Raw Sports program I made the comment that I was tired of the NBA? That the Kenyon Martin episode was the last straw, and that to me, covering the NBA makes me feel as though I've been assigned to the latest NAACP organizational meeting most nights at the Pepsi Center?


Think that would go over pretty well?


Why can't the facts that are so obvious in regard to a host of issues speak for themselves and simply explain what should be so obvious to everyone including Bryant Gumbel?


I don't think anyone would contest the fact that the Winter Olympics (which I could personally care less about) are overwhelmingly "white" in terms of the participants.


This is a fact.


But this is not motivated by any sort of a racist agenda...in fact you'd have to be a total moron to think it has anything even slightly to do with skin color.
Why would Gumbel see anything having to do with color in regard to this issue? Was he trying to be funny? Was this some political humor that Gumbel was injecting into his commentary?


No.


For Gumbel has at other times either directly and sometimes subliminally inserted other commentary that tells me that he looks to assess things through a prism of color way too often.


Instead of going with factual material that says that winter time sports are not as popular with people of color for a myriad of reasons - Gumbel instead chose to denounce the Winter games as an endeavor with racist motives.


Amazing.


Not so much amazing that Gumbel said what he said, but amazing in that his commentary has been virtually swept underneath a carpet - while if we go back in time we can cite several instances where people such as Howard Cosell, Jimmy The Greek, Al Campanis, Paul Hornung, Rush Limbaugh, and others, were hung out to dry by the same media who placed those people on the front pages of their newspapers - while Gumbel's words have already been forgotten by many.


Why too would Gumbel even bring the GOP into this? If you're a black person, a conservative, a Republican, how do you take Gumbel's words?


And as for Gumbel's words about events like skating and skiing not existing back when Greeks started the Olympic games, please allow me to remind everyone that Basketball and Baseball were not around either, yet they are in the Summer Games...are they not? Of course baseball was recently dropped, but I'm sure you get my drift.


Turning the page, the situation in Boulder is one that has me shaking my head almost every day.


To read the Denver Post, the Rocky Mountain News, or the Boulder Daily Camera, one would think that if you're black and walking the streets of that city after sundown, you're really risking you're life.


Or as I have said on my radio program, the city of Boulder is more dangerous at night for a black person, than for a white guy strolling down Martin Luther King Boulevard in Harlem at 2 AM.


Al Sharpton gets invited to speak at CU the other night, collects 28K for doing so, then jets out of town leaving that city more troubled than before he showed up.


The situation at CU is not specific to that university, or to that city, or to that area.
CU has racial parameters it deals with just like hundreds if not thousands of schools across the United States. But to listen to the people on the bogus "blue ribbon commission", CU is a school about ready to explode from racial hostility and oppression.


Funny but the other night when I was attending the CU-Oklahoma basketball game, I didn't see a hint of any racial strife, just a terrific game, with a CU student section that continues to solidify their position as one of the most obnoxious student cheering sections in all of college sports.


By the way, someone over at the University of Oklahoma must not have received the memo from Sir Charles about the state being no place for black people. Of the 12 players on the OU roster - 8 were black.


And then there is the Chauncey Billups story in today's edition of the Denver Post.
Why in the world would Billups want to infer even slightly, that the state of Colorado has any kind of a perception that there are no black people in this best of all states in the country? Does Billups have an axe to grind with his home state - was that not his picture I saw plastered on one of the walls of the Coors Events Center the other night where I was watching that basketball game...where Billups played?


Did Billups confer with Al Sharpton before he opened his mouth on this one?
I thought Billups remarks were out of line and now as the result a lot of people across the country could think of Colorado as a "problem state", in line with the grossly distorted stories being circulated out of Boulder, where Billups of course played his college basketball.


As the title to this column suggests folks, I don't say this stuff...I just listen and then tell you what I think.


Unlike some people, I'm not insisting that anyone be fired or even reprimanded.


What I am hoping for is that there are people who will begin to view stuff like this with fairness and an objectiveness that is sorely lacking today on just about all fronts.


Wishful thinking, I know.


dc



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?